As a people-focused company, we inspire and engage employees with training and development programmes that power them along defined, rewarding career paths. They are promoted as far as their ambitions, skills and energy will take them. As a result average service length is 12 plus years; 37% of staff stay with us for 15 years or more; and turnover is less than 5% – one of the lowest in the construction industry. Customers benefit from a well-motivated, loyal and productive workforce that has bought into our ethos of being constantly agile, flexible and responsive to their requirements.
Here are just some of the development initiatives we have in place:
- A modular project manager development programme, working with an external training provider, the nine-month scheme covers management, leadership, commercial awareness, project planning and programming.
- Ongoing accreditation training
- Ongoing internal Health & Safety and IT systems and e learning
- Cranfield Advanced Development Programme, designed for senior managers who want to realise their business leadership potential and take their career to the next level. Read about our project manager, Chris Mellor’s experience at Cranfield
- Our award-winning apprenticeship scheme offers technical skills training for some 15 local young people at any one time. A high percentage of our site managers have been developed and progressed from an apprenticeship/trade position and at the highest level, many of our directors have come up through the ranks, progressing to their present positions after fifteen to twenty years’ loyal service.
- Higher Level Apprenticeships are run in partnership with Liverpool John Moores University and involve a five year Construction Management degree course combined with on the job training as part of our North West team.
In addition to apprenticeships and compulsory Health and Safety training, each of our employees receives an average of four days a year of formalised and structured training, a figure that’s in the top quartile for the industry.
Hear from members of our team about their personal training and development journey and how we are supporting them to progress through the company, in their chosen field of expertise.